jueves, 4 de marzo de 2010


So, after an 8 hour drive I made it to Durban, there I stayed at my mate Nick's house, who I met in Cape Town, on the outskirts of Durban, very nice area, very 1st worldly. So as for that night we just chilled and talked for a bit and met his parents. The next day we would drive into Durban, South Africa's 3rd largest city, and we headed into uShaka, some sort of mall/water park/aquarium thingy. We ended up going into the water park, small but quite fun, allthough we had to fight off hordes of school kids, and into the aquarium, which is very nicely set up as a sunken ship and has quite a number of sharks and other cool stuff.

That day I got my first encounter with Durbanite food, which is very much like Indian with a few things special to it. Had something called bunny chow, which turned out to be really tasty, filling and kinda spicy, so works pretty good for me. The next couple of days involved going downtown to a club for a beach party, visiting the world cup stadium, smoking shisha or hubbly or hooka pipe or whatever you call it and watching a lot of rugby on TV, not bad at all for me.

It also included a day in Pietermaritzburg to see some of his college friends and go out with them. Good times in Durban.

Then, after 4 days of some home life, I drove south, along the coast to the Wild Coast. This was one of the poorest areas of South Africa during the Appartheid, and now is growing in tourism, specially amongst backpackers. This area is dotted by small Xhosa villeages and houses and has some of the most stunning views I,ve seen in my life. Driving through the area is a bit tricky but so worth it.

So I arrived into Port Saint Johns. Is a small place with a very cozy feel to it, friendly people and awesome landscape. Here I met a friend of mine that I worked with in North Carolina last summer. For the last 4 days I've been helping build a school for Xhosa people up a cliff next to town. I quite like the fact that I can help with something like this. Some people in the hostal live there and work a volunteers in some projects like these. Most of them suffer from Pondo fever, which is coming to PSJ, falling in love with the place and staying for quite some time. I could've gotten it if it werent for the strong medicin that my expiring visa turned out to be.Other than that I've been doing a few walks around the place, hiking to the beaches, and just chilling at the place, I'm really getting to love South Africa, too bad I've been turned out on my job hunting. Still have around 10 days to travel, so Ill enjoy them and still look for a job. Should have one or two more updates coming, specially since tomorrows im starting a few surfing classes, lol, should be fun.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario